Thursday, February 4, 2010

Knock-knock! Temptation's Calling!

One of the local restaurants uses an up close and personal marketing technique. It's extremely effective...they go right out into the community and hand-deliver a copy of their menu...

Here's the best part...

FREE SAMPLES!



Mmmm...delicious...

Well, they came by the studio just the other day and those cookies were NOT something I needed to eat.

My good friend and client Josie was there with me and I admitted they were very hard to turn down. There were three cookies, and since I have two kids and my business partner Marla has one kid, we decided it would be great to save the cookies for the kids. I told Josie "yeah, if the cookies actually make it home!"

Maybe you can relate...



I mused to myself...if I can just visualize their names on the paper envelopes that hold the cookies...just maybe I can keep myself from eating them (because with two kids, it just wouldn't be right to only give one of my kids a treat, so that would just have to be a two-cookie commitment, am I right?)

Josie was right there with me. She knew those cookies were calling me. She knew how good they would taste. She directed me to the black Sharpie right on my desk. "Do it now. Write the names on there!"



That seemingly over-the-top suggestion was just what I needed to ensure that the cookies made it home. I was successful because I actually went through a trouble-shooting process in which I identified a potential problem and (with Josie's help) laid out a strategy (silly as it was) that helped me overcome temptation.

I was at a Weight Watchers meeting a couple of years ago and our leader Peggy said some words that really rang true for me. I scribbled them down and to this day I keep them pinned up so I can see them every day:



Peggy, thank you for those words, and Josie, many thanks for being the voice of reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment